Friday, February 16, 2007

Unix Commands

The work with Unix was very interesting. I have never worked directly with an operating system before, so it was a new experience for me. The "whoami," "who," and "finger" commands were interesting to mess with. It's cool to realize that there is so much information listed on computers about so many people, and the finger command allows you to view information on other users you find on the system. I couldn't find the equivalent to the finger command for Windows/DOS. The "clear" command ended up being quite useful for me because I hate to have the window too cluttered, yet I don't want to lose any of my work. In DOS, the command for clear is "CLS." The "cal" and "date" commands were neat to mess around with because they can display virtually any calendar for any date in history. In 2010, my birthday falls on a Thursday. In DOS, the command for date is "DATE" or "TIME." The "pwd" command ended up being very useful for me while i was going through and learning how to navigate through the different directories. It was useful because it allowed me to keep track of where I was at any given time, and to make sure I made it to the directory I wanted when I navigated away. In DOS, the command for pwd is "CHDIR."

No comments: